"HUNMANBY, a village in the parish of its name, and in the wapentake of Dickering, east riding, is 207 miles from London, 39 from York, 10 from Scarborough, and 9 from Bridlington. The town is pleasantly situated on arising ground, surrounded by a fine wood on the north-west, within two miles of the sea, and contains many neat and good houses. Here is the parish church, two chapels belonging to the dissenters, and a national school. The church is dedicated to All Saints; the benefice is a vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Francis Wrangham, and the patronage is in the Osbaldeston family, who have a mansion here. The clergy have the benefit of a theological circulating library, and there is a parochial one for the poor. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture, the land in the neighbourhood being highly fertile. There is a monthly cattle market held here and fairs on May 26th and October 29th. The population of the township, in 1821, was 1,018."