HUNMANBY, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, 8 miles from Bridlington, 39 from York, and 207 from London, about midway between Scarbro' and Bridlington, is well built, and pleasantly situated, being surrounded by 6,000 acres of fertile land, and adorned by a considerable quantity of ornamental wood, chiefly growing on an elevated site, called the Castle Hill, where are still to be traced the foundations of an ancient fortress. Hunmanby had formerly a market, which was held on Tuesday, but it has long been discontinued.
The manorial rights, anciently tripartite, under the names of Ross, Lennox, and Rossmore, are now united together, with the property of more than two thirds of the township, in the hands of Humphrey Osbaldeston, Esq. The mansion-house is an ancient structure, adorned with modern embellishments; the gardens are spacious, and the plantations flourishing. A sumptuous monument, on the North side of the chancel in the parish church, commemorates those of the Osbaldeston family who died within the last century, from William Osbaldeston, Esq. (who died A. D. 1707, and whose name was inserted in the list of the intended Knights of the Royal Oak,) down to Fountayne Wentworth Osbaldeston, Esq. M. P. for Scarborough, who died June 10, 1770. The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Osbaldestons, of which the Rev. Francis Wrangham is the incumbent. The other places of worship are a Methodist chapel and a Baptist chapel. There is here a Lending Library, on Dr. Bray's plan, for the use of the neighbouring clergy; and a Parochial library has been established nearly twenty years, for the benefit of the poor. A Lancasterian school was established in this place, by H. Osbaldeston, Esq. in 1810, under Mr. Thomas Duggleby, who enjoys a salary of about £60. per annum for his services. The population amounts to 1018.
The following is the entire data from Langdale's Topographical Yorkshire Dictionary:
No Market. Fairs, May 6, and Oct. 29 for horned cattle and sheep. Principal Inn, Swan.
Here is an Alms-house for six widows, endowment only small. A noble bequest was made in 1696, by a Mr. Henry Cowton, for the benefit of the industrious poor, the annual produce of which at present is 40L.
Hunmanby, although now only a large village, a few miles from the sea had formerly a market on Tuesday, but long discontinued - a small cross is yet standing to point out the market-place. It is said to have been a Barony; "for in King Edward I's reign by an inquisition taken at the death of Gilbert de Gant, it was found that he held the Lordship of Hundemanby, in this county, by Barony; and likewise that upon the marriage of Gilbert his son, with Lora de Baliol, he settled it upon her for her dowry." --Magna Brit.
The site of what is called the Castle-Hill, adjoining the village, and where, we are told, "are still to be traced the foundations of an ancient fortress," is now planted with trees.
The Mansion-house of Humphrey Osbaldeston, Esq. the present owner of the Manor, is adorned with modern embellishments, completely hid by high walls, from public view.
A sumptuous marble monument, by Fisher, in the church, commemorates the Osbaldeston family. The church contains two or three other monuments remarkable only for their simplicity: And over the central arches of the church are emblazoned, in eleven distinct shields, the armorial bearings subscribed with the names of ancient Lords of the place. The vicarage-house, which adjoins the church, is occupied by the present incumbent, the Rev. Francis Wrangham, M.A.F.R.S. recently elevated to the Archdeaconry of Cleveland, North-Riding.
At Hunmanby was born, in 1671, Richard Fiddes, an English divine. In 1694, he entered into Holy Orders, and soon after obtained the Rectory of Halsham, in Holderness; but the air of the place proving unhealthy, he was deprived of his speech, which he never perfectly recovered. In 1712, he removed to London, where he was under the necessity of commencing author, in order to procure for himself a comfortable subsistence. Unfortunately, he enlisted under the banners of party, and closely connected himself with Swift and Atterbury. At the recommendation of the former, the Earl of Oxford appointed him his Chaplain; he was afterwards appointed Chaplain to the Garrison at Hull, of which he was deprived on the death of Queen Anne, and thrown back upon his former resources of the pen. He died at Putney in 1725, aged 54. His principal works are, the Life of Cardinal Wolsey; a Body of Divinity, folio, for which the University conferred on him the degree of D.D. and for which Lintot paid him 250 guineas; 52 Practical Sermons; a Treatise on Morality, &c. --Gen. Biographical Dict. --Nichols' Lit. Anecdotes.