"HUTTON CRANSWICK, a parish in the Bainton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 4 miles S. of Driffield, its post town, and 1 mile from Cranswick station on the Hull and Bridlington section of the York and North Midland railway. It is bounded on the E. by the navigable river Hull, on which are extensive flour-mills, and contains the townships of Rotsea and Sunderlandwick, and the hamlets of Cranswick and Hull. The soil is clayey and the land chiefly arable. The surface is boldly undulating, and the higher grounds command extensive views over the Wolds and of Holderness. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £130. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an old brick and stone structure, with an embattled tower containing three bells. In the interior is an old Norman font. The charities produce £10 per annum. There are places of worship for Baptists, Methodists, and Primitive Methodists; also National and infant schools. Lord Londesborough and Lord Hotham are lords of the manor."
"ROTSEA, a township in the parish of Hutton Cranswick, Bainton-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Great Driffield."
"SUNDERLANDWICK, a township in the parish of Hutton-Cranswick, Bainton-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Great Driffield, on a branch of the river Hull."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013