|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRK ELLA, a parish-town in Hullshire; and adjoining 5 miles WNW. of Hull. From the Domesday book, it appears that at the time of the survey, the village of Kirk Ella, was a part of the possessions of Ralph de Mortimer. In the reign of Edward II. a great part of the lands in this parish were in the hands of Lord Wake, of Cottingham. At present several branches of the ancient mercantile family of Sykes possess a large property in this parish, and are patrons of the church. Here, as well as at Ferriby and Cottingham, several of the wealthy merchants of Hull have elegant places of residence. In the church at Kirk-Ella, dedicated to St Andrew, which appears to be a very ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), is a handsome monument erected to the memory of the late Joseph Sykes, Esq. who is supposed to have had more extensive dealings with the nobles and merchants of Sweden, than any other person in England; he was twice mayor of the town of Kingston-upon-Hull: he died in the year 1805. Population, 368."
"ANLABY, in the parishes of North Ferriby, Hessle, and Kirk Ella, in Hullshire; ¾ mile ESE. of Kirk Ella, 5 miles W. of Hull, at the western extremity of the marshy plain in which that town is situated. Is a pleasant village, adorned with several elegant seats. This village formerly belonged to the ancient family of the Anlabys, who derived their name from the manor. In the year 1100 the heiress of that house carried it by marriage into the family of Legard, which family resided here from the conquest, till nearly the close of the last century. Population 307." - -(See North Ferriby for directory)
"SOUTH ELLA, (the seat of John Broadley, Esq.) in the township and parish of Kirk-Ella; mile N. of Kirk Ella, 8 miles from Hull."
"WEST ELLA, in the parish of Kirk Ella, and wapentake of Hullshire; and adjoining Kirk Ella, (the seat of the Rev. Richard Sykes.)
Mr. Sykes' house is in the parish of Kirk-Ella. The village of West and Kirk-Ella being situated on an elevated situation, commands fine views of the town and port of Hull, the Humber, and of the low country of Holderness."
"WILLERBY, in the parishes of Cottingham and Kirk Ella, and wapentakes of Harthill and Hullshire; ¾ mile N. of Kirk Ella, 6 miles WNW. of Hull." - -(See Cottingham for directory)
"WOLFRETON, a single house in the township of Kirk-Ella and Anlaby, and parish of Kirk-Ella; 1 mile NE. of Kirk Ella, 5 miles from Hull."