"LANGTOFT, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Driffield, its post town, and 10 W. of Bridlington. It contains the hamlet of Cotton. The village is considerable. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1801. The living is a vicarage* with the perpetual curacy of Cotton annexed, in the diocese of York, value £354, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a stone edifice with a square tower containing two bells. There is a chapel-of-ease at Cotton. A National school was erected here in 1846 for children of both sexes. It is supported by voluntary contributions. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Peter de Langtoft, a canon of the priory of Bridlington, and poet and historian of the 14th century, was a native of this place. Sir John Gibbons is lord of the manor."
"COTTAM, a chapelry in the parish of Langtoft, wapentake of Dickering, in the East Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N. of Great Driffield, its post town, and 2 S.W. of Langtoft. The land is barren, and much of it unenclosed. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, annexed to the vic* of Langtoft, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is a small ancient structure, and contains an old font."