"LOWTHORPE, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Great Driffield, and 7 S.W. of Bridlington. It is a station on the Hull and Bridlington branch of the North-Eastern line of railway. The village is very small, consisting of a few farmhouses. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £64. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is an ancient edifice. The chancel has long been in ruins. There are numerous monuments and inscriptions, some of which are scarcely legible. It was made a collegiate establishment about 1330, but fell into disuse as such towards the latter part of the 16th century. William St. Quintin, Esq., is lord of the manor. Lowthorpe Lodge is the principal residence."