Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Sledmere - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Driffield - Rural Deanery of Buckrose - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
Luttons Ambo, formerly a detached portion of the parish of Weaverthorpe with Helperthorpe intervening, was formed into a separate parish in 1875. Its boundaries are conterminous with those of the township, and inclose an area of 2,623 acres; the rateable value is £2,208, and the number of inhabitants in 1891 was 358. The soil is light wold land, and the subsoil chalk. Wheat, oats, barley, and turnips are the chief crops. The township comprises East and West Lutton (hence its name of Luttons Ambo or both Luttons), each of which forms a distinct manor, and the principal owners of the soil are Thomas Ness, Esq., lord of the manor of West Lutton; H. A. Cholmley, Esq., T. J. Bell, Esq., J. M. Mitchelson, Esq., and Lord Londesborough, lord of the manor of East Lutton. Mr. Noah Russell, Skipsea, has also some property here.
The village of West Lutton is situated about three miles west-south-west of Weaverthorpe, 10 miles south-east of Malton, and six miles from West Heslerton station, on the York and Scarborough branch of the North Eastern railway. The church of St. Mary is a handsome stone edifice in the Pointed style of architecture erected by Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., of Sledmere, at a total cost of nearly £17,000. It consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, organ chamber, south porch, and a western turret containing three bells. The chancel arch is of noble proportions, and spanning it is a painted screen surmounted by a large cross. The roofs of the nave and aisles are open timbered work and beautifully carved, and a groined roof of stone covers the chancel. In the south wall are a sedilia and a piscina. The communion table is richly painted, and over it is a handsome triptych. The pulpit is of stone elaborately carved, and the font is also a beautiful piece of workmanship. All the windows are of stained glass, exhibiting the salient events of Bible history The nave is fitted with open seats of oak to accommodate 100 persons. The roof of the south porch is groined; the inner doorway is pointed, and richly ornamented with rose mouldings resting upon clustered columns; the outer arch is semi-circular, and above this, in a canopied niche, is the figure of the Blessed Virgin, holding the Divine Child in her arms. The graveyard is surrounded by a stone wall, and entered through a handsome lychgate. The living is a vicarage, gross value £325, in the gift of Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., and held by the Rev. Thomas Fowell Buxton Scriven, of King's College, London.
A chapel-of-ease was erected as early as the reign of King Stephen, and the old chapel, which the present church superseded, was a building of considerable antiquity. Portions of a Norman archway taken from it have been built in over the vestry door.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. That belonging to the former sect was erected in 1817, at a cost of £300, and restored in 1880, at an expense of £250. It will accommodate 120 persons, and is supported by subscriptions and collections. The Primitive Methodists built a new chapel in 1863, at a cost of £600. it is a large structure, of brick, galleried all round, and furnished to seat 300.
The school is a neat structure, of brick, erected in 1864, to accommodate 60 children.
East Lutton is a small hamlet about one mile from West Lutton, consisting of three farmhouses and a few cottages.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.