[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"MAPPLETON, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, and liberty of St. Peter's; 3 miles SSE. of Hornsea. The church is a plain gothic structure (see Churches
for photograph), dedicated to All Saints, and the living, which is a vicarage in the patronage of the Archdeacon of the East-Riding, is enjoyed by the Rev. Christopher Forge. There is here a small public school, erected in 1820 by voluntary subscription, and conducted on Dr. Bell's plan. Pop. with Rolston, 187."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Great Cowden
- Great Hatfield
- Little Cowden
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]