The Ancient Parish of MAPPLETON
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"MAPPLETON, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, and liberty of St. Peter's;
3 miles SSE. of Hornsea. The church is a plain gothic structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to
All Saints, and the living, which is a vicarage in the patronage of the
Archdeacon of the East-Riding, is enjoyed by the Rev. Christopher Forge. There
is here a small public school, erected in 1820 by voluntary subscription, and
conducted on Dr. Bell's plan. Pop. with Rolston, 187."
Information on the following places in
this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Great Cowden
- Great Hatfield
- Little Cowden
- A History of Mappleton Booklet.
Can be ordered from Rosemary Wilkinson. Tel: 01964 534681.
- A 54 page history of Mappleton Parish and All Saints Church from Roman Times to 2006.
- Recollections of past and present villagers.
- Many photographs from early 1900s.
Price £5.25 inc. postage & packing. All profits to All Saints Church.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014