"MILLINGTON, a parish in the Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Pocklington, its post town and nearest railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the Wolds, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is chiefly chalk, and two-thirds of the land arable, the remainder being pasture and woodland. Some good springs exist in the parish. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1768. The living is a vicarage* annexed to that of Great Givendale, in the diocese of York, value £300, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient structure, with a small tower containing two bells. The register dates from 1609. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum, of which £5 goes to a school. There is a parochial school in which a Sunday-school is also held. About half a mile N. E. of the village, numerous Roman remains, including the foundations of a circular temple, tesselated pavements, tiles, coins, and various other relics, have been found, giving colour to the suggestion that this was the site of the Roman station Delgovicia, and within a short distance are immense earthworks, from 60 to 90 feet in height, enclosing an area of 4,185 acres."
"LITTLE GIVENDALE, a hamlet in the parish of Millington, Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, within a short distance of Great Givendale, and 1 mile N. of the village of Millington."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
by Colin Hinson ©2013