|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NORTH FERRIBY, a parish-town in Hullshire; 6 miles SE. of South Cave, is an ancient village, and nearly opposite to South Ferriby, in Lincolnshire. Pop. 347.
This town was formerly famous for a stately and magnificent priory, of the order of knights templars, founded by Lord Eustace Broomfleet de Vesci, in the reign of King John, anno 1200, as appears from an ancient manuscript formerly in the possession of the late Luke Lillingston, Esq. of North Ferriby, the Owner of the priory. It was dissolved along with the lesser monasteries, in 1536, and valued at 95L. 11s. 7½d. at the full rent, and 60L. 1s. 2d. clear of all payments when the scite was granted to Thomas Culpepper. The scite of this priory is said to have been in the possession of 100 different persons, "in the space of no more than 130 years after its dissolution; which if true, is a circumstance so extraordinary, as perhaps scarcely to be paralleled. "There is not the least vestige of this once venerable edifice remaining. --Tickell's Hull. --Burton.
This village has, in succession, been the patrimonial possession of the Mortimers, the Poles, and the Bacons. The present church, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), and of which the King is the patron, seems only to be a part of a more spacious structure; it contains some handsome monuments of marble, two of which are erected to the memory of the Lillingston family, and one to the memory of the parents of Sir Henry Etherington, Bart. the village is delightfully situated at the foot of the hills, and not far from the shores of the Humber, to which there is a gentle descent. It is adorned by several elegant mansions.
"Here is a school founded in 1778; by the late Luke Lillingston, and endowed with 10L. per annum. for educating 12 poor children." --Tickell."
"ANLABY, in the parishes of North Ferriby, Hessle, and Kirk Ella, in Hullshire; ¾ mile ESE. of Kirk Ella, 5 miles W. of Hull, at the western extremity of the marshy plain in which that town is situated. Is a pleasant village, adorned with several elegant seats. This village formerly belonged to the ancient family of the Anlabys, who derived their name from the manor. In the year 1100 the heiress of that house carried it by marriage into the family of Legard, which family resided here from the conquest, till nearly the close of the last century. Population 307."
"BRAFFORDS, (the seat a Robert Osborne, Esq.) in the township of Swanland, and parish of North-Ferriby; 3 miles N. of North Ferriby, 7½ miles from Hull."
"DAIRY COATES, in the parish of North Ferriby, county of Hullshire, on the banks of the Humber; 2 miles W. of Hull"
"SWANLAND, in the parish of North Ferriby, wapentake and liberty of Hullshire; 1½ miles NNE. of North Ferriby, 7 miles W. of Hull. The landscapes seen from this village are greatly admired by strangers for their beauty, variety, and grandeur. An elevated spot near Swanland mill, commands a view of the Trent and the country adjacent, the whole course of the Humber down to the spurn lights, the Lincolnshire and Yorkshire coasts of that river, and the low country of Holderness, as far as the eyes can reach, where the distant prospect is bounded by the horizon. Pop. 418."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]