"NORTH GRIMSTON, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of New Malton, its post town. It is situated in the vicinity of the Wolds, and is a station on the Malton and Driffield branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village is small and wholly agricultural The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1792. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £160, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is an ancient stone structure, dedicated to St. Nicholas; it has a large stone font, carved from scriptural subjects. The arches are adorned with Norman carvings. There are charities of about £3 yearly value. Lord Middleton is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013