GENUKI Home page     North Grimston Parish main page North Grimston
Parish main page

Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Settrington - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Settrington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.

North Grimston is a small parish and township situated at the foot of the Wolds, containing, according to the Ordnance Survey, 1,564 acres. The surface is pleasingly diversified with hill and dale. The soil is various, but chiefly of a calcareous nature. Wheat, barley, oats, and beans are the principal crops. The rateable value is £1,676, and the number of inhabitants in 1891 was 154. Lord Middleton, of Birdsall, is lord of the manor and sole owner of the land.

The village is very small, but delightfully situated in a valley, four miles south-east of Malton, and near the station of its own name, on the Driffield and Malton branch of the North-Eastern Railway. The church (St. Nicholas) is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and western tower. The chancel arch is Norman or, as some think, Saxon, with neatly-executed dog-teeth ornamentation, and the entrance doorway is similar. The font, which is large enough for immersion, is undoubtedly Saxon, and adorned with sculptured representations of "The Crucifixion," "The Last Supper," and the patron saint of the church with his crozier. In the chancel are two handsome monuments to the memory of members of the Langley family, former owners of North Grimston estate; and their coat of arms appears on the interior wall of the nave. The church was re-seated in 1886, at a cost of £250, raised by subscription, and will accommodate 110 persons. Outside, against the west wall of the tower, is an effigy of St. Nicholas. The living is a vicarage, valued in the Liber Regis, compiled by order of Henry VIII., at £6 6s. 8d., and now worth £150 (gross), with residence. It is in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held by the Rev. Thomas Houseman, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge.

The National School is a small mean building, with accommodation for 28 children.

The poor of the parish have a rent-charge of £2. 0s. 6d. a year, left by Thos. Langley, Esq., in 1700 and another of 6s. left by the Rev. Mr. Penston.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016