|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NORTON, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; ½ mile SE. of Malton. The church (see Churches for photograph) is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Ewbank, of which the Rev. John Richardson is the incumbent. At the foot, of the bridge, between this place and Malton was, pretty early in the time of Henry II., a hospital, dedicated to St. Nicholas, founded by Roger de Flamvill, and placed under the government of the canons of Malton. Population, 1017."
"BLACK DALE HOUSE, (now High Farm) in the parish of Norton, and wapentake of Buckrose; 2 miles SW. of Norton, 2½ miles SSW. of Malton."
"SUTTON, in the parish of Norton, and wapentake of Buckrose; ½ mile S. of Norton, 1 mile E. of Malton. Population, 87."
"WELHAM, a hamlet in the township and parish of Norton; (the seat of Robert Bower, Esq.); 1¼ miles SSW. of Norton, 1 mile from Malton, 11 from Sledmere."
"WHITEWALL CORNER, ham. in the township and parish of Norton; ¾ mile SSW. of Norton, 1 mile from Malton. This Hamlet being situated on the edge of the Wolds, excellent conveniences are made for the training of Race Horses."