|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NUNKEELING, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 6 miles NW. of Hornsea. Nunkeeling is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of R. R. Dixon, Esq. and of Harrington Hudson, Esq. lord of the manor. Pop. with Bewholme, 243.
This church was originally part of the Priory, but was re-built about twelve years ago.
Agnes de Arches, in the time of King Stephen, built a Priory here for Benedictine Nuns, to the honour of St. Mary Magdalen and St Helen. Valued at the dissolution in 1540, at 35L. 15s. 5d. Dugdale. 50L. 17s. 2d. --Speed. The site and demesnes were sold to Sir Richard Gresham, Knight, 32nd Henry VIII. to be held de rege in capite per servic. militare. --Dugdale. -Burton."
"BEWHOLME, in the parish of Nunkeeling, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1½ miles ENE. of Nunkeeling, 3 miles NW of Hornsea; pleasantly situated on an eminence and commanding a most extensive and beautiful view of the surrounding country; the houses are, in general well built and chiefly inhabited by farmers the soil is in a high state of cultivation. Pop. Included with Nunkeeling 243."
"BILLINGS HILL, (the seat of James Hopkinson, Esq.) in the township of Bewholme with Nunkeeling, and parish of Nunkeeling; 1 mile NNE. of Nunkeeling, 7 miles from Hornsea, 10 from Beverley."