"OTTRINGHAM, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake.of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from liedon, containing 637 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Chancellor of the University of Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, is principally in the decorated style of architecture, with a tower surmounted by a spire. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Four poor children are instructed for the interest arising from £100 stock, the gift of Mary Fox, in 1792."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]