"OTTRINGHAM, a parish in the S. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 3¼ miles E. of Patrington, 6 E. by S. of Hedon, and 10 E. of Hull, its post town. It is a station on the Hull and Holderness section of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on Ottringham Drain, which flows into the Humber. A great portion of the land is marshy. The soil is strong but rich, with a clayey subsoil. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes were commuted for annual money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1758. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £83. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower surmounted by a spire and containing three bells. The church was restored and reroofed in 1843. The register dates from 1566. There is a National school for both sexes endowed by Mrs. Mary Fox, in 1792, with the interest of £100 per annum. A Sunday-school is also held in the school-room. The Wesleyans have a place of worship with a school attached. Francis and William Watt, Esqs., are lords of the manors and principal landowners."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013