"OWTHORNE, a parish in the S. and middle divisions of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Patrington, its post town, and 18 E. of Kingston. It adjoins the parish of Withernsea. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the coast, but has at various times sustained considerable damage from the encroachments of the sea. The parish comprises the townships of South Frodingham, Rimswell, and Waxholme. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The land is mostly arable, with a small proportion of pasture. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1806. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £282. The old church of St. Peter was destroyed by the sea during a storm in 1816. A new one was erected at Rimswell, about 2 miles from the sea, and is dedicated to St. Mary. It is of yellow brick, and has a tower. There are National and Sunday schools. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. In 1844 the parsonage and two cottages were destroyed by the sea."
"RIMSWELL, a township in the parish of Owthorne, S. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Patrington, and 3 N.W. of Owthorne."
"SOUTH FRODINGHAM, a township in the parish of Owthorne, wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Patrington, and 3 N.W. of Owthorne. The Rev. Christopher Sykes is lord of the manor."
"WAXHOLME, a township in the parish of Owthorne, middle division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Patrington, and 1½ mile N. of Owthorne. It is situated on the coast, and is subject to the encroachments of the sea. In 1826 a coastguard station was established here."