|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"OWTHORNE, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 5 miles NE. of Patrington. This village, situated on the shore of the German ocean, has suffered much from the encroachments of the sea, which are averaged at from 1 to 2½ yards annually along the coast. The church (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Peter, which was erected here by one of the benevolent Sisters; (so well known in the annals of history) on the night of February 16th, 1816, fell with a most tremendous crash into the bosom of the ocean. The living is a vicarage, of which the King is the patron, and the Rev. James Robson the incumbent. Population, 143."
"RIMSWELL, in the parish of Owthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1½ miles W. of Owthorne, 5 miles N. of Patrington. The church (see Churches for photograph) is a modern structure built in 1800, and the manor belongs to Geo. Liddle, Esq. banker, Hull. Pop. 129."
"SOUTH FRODINGHAM, a small hamlet, in the parish of Owthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2 miles SW. of Owthorne, 3½ miles N. of Patrington. The hall, once a stately mansion, with octagon windows of stained glass, is now in a state of ruin. Population, 71."
"WAXHOLME, in the parish of Owthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 mile NNW. of Owthorne, 5½ miles N. of Patrington. Pop. 72."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]