"POCKLINGTON, a parish, and market town in the Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 14 miles S.E. of York, 27 N.W. of Hull, and 32 from Scarborough. It is a station on the Beverley branch of the North Eastern railway. It is situated in a level country, about 2 miles from the Wolds, and the Pocklington canal connects it with the river Derwent. The parish comprises the townships of Ousethorpe, Pocklington, and Yapham-with-Meltonby. The town is a polling-place for the East Riding of Yorkshire, and a petty sessions town, the latter being held by the county magistrates at the police station in Great George-street on the first Saturday in each month. In 1851 it contained a population of 2,546, which, in 1861, had increased to 2,671, with 600 inhabited houses. The inhabitants are for the most part employed in agricultural pursuits, and in ropemaking, brickmaking, brewing, and malting. There are besides corn mills, iron foundries, and agricultural implement manufactories which materially contribute to the industrial wealth of the town. The living is a vicarage with the curacies of Meltonby, Yapham and Ousethorpe annexed, in the diocese of York, value £400, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure with a lofty tower at the W. end, surmounted by pinnacles and containing a peal of six bells. It was erected in 1252, but underwent a complete restoration and alteration some few years ago. The chancel is the most ancient part of the edifice, and has several carved stalls. It contains a stained-glass E. window, illustrative of the life of Christ, another to the memory of the Loftus family, and a third to the Ellis family, all executed by Wailes, of Newcastle; also several mural monuments. The Roman Catholics, Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. The free grammar school was originally founded by Dr. John Dowman or Dolman, in the early part of the reign of Henry VIII., and the appointment of head-master vested in the master and fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, who with the churchwardens appoint the usher. These two officers are called the "Corporation of Master and Usher of the free Grammar School of Pocklington." Through the indefatigable perseverance of the present and late headmasters many of the ancient rights of this excellent school have been regained, and its revenue increased from £100 to £1,500 per annum, with five exhibitions at St. John's College, Cambridge. The school buildings have been materially improved and renovated, and there are now about 40 scholars. Wilberforce received the early part of his education at this school. A National school for boys, girls, and infants was erected in 1854 at a cost of £1,450, including the site. The Wesleyans have also a school. The town is well supplied with water and lighted by gas. The market-place is commodious. The canal, which was completed in 1816, belongs to the North-Eastern railway company, and joins the river Derwent at East Collingwith. It is about 9 miles in length, and is of immense benefit to the town of Pocklington in a commercial point of view. Pocklington Poor-law Union contains 47 parishes and townships. The union workhouse was erected in 1852 at a cost of nearly £2,000. A library and reading-room was established in Waterloo-buildings in 1852, and there are two buildings called the Odd-fellows' Hall and Music Hall, where public meetings, lectures, &c., are held. Petty sessions for the Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill are held on the first Saturday in every month, and a county court is held monthly. Courts leet, baron, and copyhold are held annually by the Hon. Captain Arthur Duncombe, M.P., who is lord of the manor. The poor-law guardians meet twice a month at the union workhouse. Pocklington is also the seat of a superintendent registry. Market day is Saturday. Fares are held on 7th March, 6th May, 5th August, 8th November, chiefly for cattle and sheep, and a statute fair for hiring servants on the 9th November."
"MELTONBY WITH YAPHAM, a township and chapelry in the parish of Pocklington, Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of Pocklington, its post town and railway station. The villages, which are small, and about 1 mile distant from each other, are wholly agricultural. The soil consists of clay and sand. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Pocklington, in the diocese of York. The chapel is a small edifice with a bell-turret containing one bell."
"OUSTHORPE, a township in the parish of Pocklington, Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 1½ mile N.E. of Pocklington. There are traces of a large moated mansion in the neighbourhood."
"OWSTHORPE, a township in the parish of Pocklington, Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 1½ mile N. by E. of Pocklington."
"YAPHAM, a township and chapelry in the parish of Pocklington, Witton-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 2½ miles N.W. of Pocklington. The chapelry comprises the villages and townships of Yapham and Meltonby. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Pocklington. The chapel-of-ease is an old edifice, repaired in 1778."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
by Colin Hinson ©2013