|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"POCKLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles from Market Weighton, 17 from Driffield, 17 from Malton, 13 from York, and 195 from London. The places of worship in Pocklington, are the parish church (see Churches for photograph), a very plain homely structure, dedicated to All-Saints, of which the Rev. Charles Wolf Eyre, B. D. is vicar, and the Dean of York, the patron. An Independent chapel, of which Rev. Thomas Hutton, is minister; a Methodist chapel, a small Roman Catholic chapel, and a chapel belonging to the Primitive Methodists. Here is a nobly endowed Free School, for teaching the dead languages to an unlimited number of scholars, belonging to the town and neighbourhood of Pocklington, with a revenue from lands of from twelve to fourteen hundred pounds per annum. Rev, Thos. Shield, . B. D. master, Rev. Thomas Brown, sub-master, who is entitled to one-third of the profits, and Rev. David Jones, usher. There is also a National School, erected at the sole expense of Robert Dennison, Esq. of Kilnwick Percy, and very liberally supported by the gentry in the town. Average number of scholars, 75 boys and 60 girls. In 1814, an act of parliament was passed for making a navigable canal from East Cottingwith to Street Bridge, (about a mile from Pocklington) which has been completed and considerable business is now carried on in bringing to the place coal, lime, manure, and merchandize, and taking away corn, flour, timber, and other articles. The market day is on Saturday, and the races on the second of May in every year. In a gravel pit in Barnsley field, near this town, were dug up in 1763, four human skeletons; three were without coffins, the fourth was enclosed in a coffin with an urn at the head, on the outside of which were engraved several ancient characters. Population, 1962."
"MELTONBY, in the parish of Pocklington, and wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles NNW. of Pocklington. Pop. 78."
"OUSETHORPE, in the parish of Pocklington, and wapentake of Harthill, 2½ miles NNE. of Pocklington. Pop. 9."
"POCKLINGTON NEW INN, in the township and parish of Pocklington; 1½ miles SSE. of Pocklington, 5¾ from Market-Weighton, 13 from York. A Posting-house, on the road from York to Market-Weighton."
"YAPHAM, in the parish of Pocklington and wapentake of Harthill; 2¼ miles NNW. of Pocklington, 2 miles NW. of Pocklington. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph) under the vicarage of Pocklington, curate, Rev. Charles Brown. Population, 114.
The Chapel of Yapham-with-Meltonby here, is a perpetual curacy, and has been served by the Vicar of Pocklington since time immemorial. No burial ground."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]