[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"RICCALL, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, liberties of Howdenshire and St. Peter's; 10 miles S. of York. The church is dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches
for photograph), and the living which is a discharged vicarage, is in the gift of the prebendary of Riccall. There is at this place an endowed school, for teaching twelve poor children to read. The village of Riccall is situated near the river Ouse, and is memorable as the landing place of Hardrada, king of Norway, in 1066.* Here are two manors in this parish, one of them belonging to the Prebendary, and the other to the Bishop of Durham. On the west of the village and impending on the banks of the river are the magnificent remains of the episcopal manor-house of La. Well Hall; and the mansion is surrounded by three broad moats, the river being the western boundary. About fifty years ago when the land in this village first came into cultivation, several entire skulls were dug up in good preservation, and a rough flag four feet square with a cross barbarously sculptured was found here, and at present forms part of the pavement of the parish church. The population of this village now amounts to 599.
* See vol. II. page 21."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]