Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Divison of Rillington - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Settrington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish is situated in the vale of the Derwent, which river forms its northern boundary. It formerly included the township and chapelry of Scampston, but this has been constituted a separate parish. The area embraced within the parochial limits is 2,170 acres, the rateable value is £3,969, of which £1,127 is assessed on the North Eastern Railway Co., and the population in 1891 was 760. The soil is generally light, the subsoil gravel and clay; and wheat, barley, turnips and clover are the chief crops. Wilfrid Hudlestone Hudlestone Esq., who is lord of the manor, T.J.Chandler, Esq., R. Jones Esq., William Collison, and James Owston are the principal landowners. There are several small freeholders.
The village is large, and stands on the high road from York to Scarborough, four-and-a-half miles north-east from Malton, and about one mile from Rillington station, on the York and Scarborough branch of the North Eastern railway. A small stream intersects the parish and runs through the principal streets of the village. it is said to have received its name from its situation on the banks of this rill, but it is much more probably indebted for its appelation to some now-forgotten Saxon sept or clan. It is mentioned in Domeday Book, and is therein spelt Redlington.
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient edifice of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transept and an embattled western tower, surmounted by a handsome octagonal spire. This latter appendage has had an eventful history. It was blown down on the 6th of September, 1783, and rebuilt in 1788, and on the 6th of January, 1839, a hurricane dislodged about six feet of it. During a thunderstorm, in July, 1867, the spire was struck by the electric fluid and considerably damaged. It was restored the same year, by public subscription, and a lightning conductor added. The church was repaired and the north side partially rebuilt in 1825, the expense being defrayed by a parish rate, and the proceeds of the sale of the old leaden roof. It was again restored and reseated in 1886, and during the progress of the work some fresco paintings were discovered on the wall of the north aisle. The registers date from 1600. The living is a vicarage, valued in the Liber Regis at £8 14s. 9½d., and now worth £180, including 47 acres of glebe. It is in the gift of A. J. Cholmley, Esq., of Place Newton, and held by the Rev. Harry Stanley Carpenter. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge, at present worth £203 a year.
The Wesleyan chapel dates from 1805, and the Congregational church from 1818. The latter was restored in 1875, at a cost of £400. There are two memorial windows. It is furnished with seats of pitchpine for the accommodation of 350 persons. The Primitive Methodist chapel is a neat building of brick and stone, in the Gothic style, erected in 1886, at a cost of nearly £500. It will seat 160 persons, and is in the Malton Circuit.
A School Board was formed in 1874, and the following year a school was erected, at a cost of about £1,000. It is a handsome building of brick, with stone dressings. An Infant school was added in 1887, at a further outlay of £80. There is accommodation for 175, and an average attendance of 155. The teaching staff consists of a head master, two assistants, and two pupil teachers. School Board - Members: Messrs. Collinson, Pearson, Wright, Jackson, and Shaw. Thomas Collinson, chairman; R. Jackson, clerk; E. Piercy, attendance officer.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.