|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"RILLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 5 miles NE. of Malton. Situated on the banks of the Derwent, which is navigable from hence to the Humber for small vessels. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew (see Churches for photograph); and the living which is in the gift of the king, is enjoyed by the Rev. James Carter Green. In addition to the parish church, there is here a chapel for the Independents, and another for the Methodists. A courtbaron is held here annually for the recovery of debts under forty shillings. Pop 683."
"RILLINGTON MOORS, a few farm houses in the township and parish of Rillington; 2 miles NW. of Rillington, 7 miles from Malton."
"SCAMPSTON, in the parish of Rillington, and wapentake of Buckrose; ¾ mile NE. of Rillington, 6 miles NE. of Malton. Pop. 200. (see also Churches)
The ancient family of St. Quintin has a seat here; the mansion has a handsome appearance, and the grounds are adorned with numerous plantations; an elegant stone bridge crosses a fine stream of water which runs through the park, where numerous herds of deer give animation to the prospect.
This seat of the ancient family of the St. Quintins, is at present occupied by Charles Thorald Wood, Esq. The family of St. Quintin is said to have derived its name from St. Quintin, the Capital of Lower Picardy, in France, and entered England on the Norman invasion. The name is recorded in the roll of Battle Abbey. The fifth and last Baronet of the lineage died A.D. 1795. --Scarborough Guide."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]