Parish main page
Wapentake of Holderness (North Division) - Petty Sessional Division of North Holderness - County Council Electoral Division and Poor Law Union of Skirlaugh - County Court District of Beverley - Rural Deanery of Hornsea - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish and township contains, according to the Ordnance Survey, 2,039 acres. The rateable value is £1,866, and the population in 1891 was 205. The surface is flat, the soil chiefly clay; the subsoil varies, but is mostly clay; and the chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley.
Rise is an historic manor, and was long associated with a family of considerable distinction in the county. Before the Conquest, it was held by Canute, who had here five carucates and a half of land, subject to the dane-geld. The Conqueror gave these and other lands to one of his followers, Franco, surnamed de Fauconberg, from the place of his birth, in Normandy. He held a command in the Conqueror's army at the battle of Senlac, though he does not appear to have occupied any very distinguished position in his native country. But fortune favoured the family in their new home, and marriages with heiresses extended their possessions. Eustacius de Fauconberg, a member of this family, was a man of great ability and learning. He was Justicier at Westminster (1199-1219), Treasurer of England and Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1217, and in 1221 was chosen, out of several able competitors, Bishop of London. Hence it was said of him -"All here are worthy, thou the worthiest; All fully wise, thou 'wiser than the rest."The family was afterwards ennobled. Walter, the first baron, married one of the four sisters and co-heiresses of Peter de Brus, with whom he obtained a large slice of Cleveland, including the castle and manor of Skelton. Sir William Neville, Knt., youngest son of Ralph Neville, first Earl of Westmoreland, married Johan, the idiot daughter and heiress of Sir Thomas, sixth Baron Fauconberg, and was summoned to Parliament, jure exoris, as seventh Baron Fauconberg, from 1449 to 1461. He was a soldier of great military skill, and was a conspicuous figure in the French wars of the period. He was governor of Roxburgh Castle, and led the right wing of the Yorkist army at the battle of Towton. For his distinguished services, he was rewarded with the earldom of Kent, and constituted Lord Admiral of England. He died in 1464, leaving three daughters, Joan, Elizabeth, and Alice, who married, respectively, Sir Edward Bedhering, Knt., Sir Richard Strangeways, Knt., and Sir John Coniers, Knt.; but it is not known to which of them this manor fell in the division of the estates.
For several years the manor was held in lease, under the Crown, by different persons, and, after the Restoration, Charles II. granted the lordship in fee to Sir Hugh Bethell, Knt. The elder line of this gentleman terminated in two granddaughters, who died in infancy, and the manor descended to Hugh Bethell, Esq., only son of John Bethell, Esq., younger brother of the above Sir Hugh, from whom it has descended to the present owner, William Bethell, Esq., J.P., C.C., D.L., who is sole owner of the whole parish.
Rise Park, the seat of Mr. Bethell, is an elegant mansion of stone, in the Grecian style, with three fronts, built by the late Richard Bethell, Esq., in 1820. It stands in a park of 140 acres, containing a lake, about four acres in extent, and 135 head of deer. Woodlands cover about 110 acres, imparting to the landscape an aspect of sylvan beauty.
The village is small, but pleasantly situated on the road from Hull to Hornsea, 11 miles north-north-east from the former town, six miles south-west from the latter, and two miles from Whitedale station, on the Hull and Hornsea branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was rebuilt by the late Richard Bethell, Esq., in 1845. It is a neat stone edifice in the Early English styre, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry, and western tower, with spire, containing three bells. All the interior fittings of the church are of oak, and several of the windows are filled with stained glass. On the walls of the vestry are several monuments to the Bethell family, whose vault is beneath, and on the wall of the nave is a brass to Christopher Bethell, Esq., fourth son of W. F. Bethell, who was killed in the execution of his duty in Bechuanaland, July, 1884. There are twelve small brasses in the floor, to other members of the same family. The registers date from 1559. One of the Fauconbergs founded a chantry in the old church, at the altar of St. Thomas the Martyr; and there was another chantry, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, but by whom founded is not known. The lands by which the latter was endowed were appropriated by Edward VI. to the support of the grammar school which he founded at Giggleswick, in Craven.
The living is a rectory, valued at £410 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1850 by the Rev. W. J. Whately, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, rural dean of Hornsea, and prebend of Dunnington in York Cathedral. The tithe rent-charge is £540, and there are 55 acres of glebe.
There is a school attended by about 24 children. The poor have a rentcharge of 40s., left by Sir Hugh Bethell, in 1679; and they have also the rent of a house and three-and-a-half acres of land in Withernwick (purchased with benefaction money in 1738), less £2 to the parish of Withernwick.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.