The Ancient Parish of SANCTON
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SANCTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 2½ miles SE. of Market Weighton.
The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), and the living, which is in the gift
of J. Broadley, Esq. is enjoyed by the Rev. Thomas Atkinson vicar. There is a
public charity school at this place for the education of 45 boys and girls, and
endowed by Lady Vavasour with £20. per ann. There is a Catholic chapel in the
East wing of Houghton hall for public worship, of which the Rev. James Wrennel
is minister. Pop. with Houghton, 334."
"HESSLESKEW GRANGE, f.h. in the township and parish of Sancton; 1¾ miles ENE. of
Sancton, 4 miles from Market-Weighton."
"NORTH CLIFFE, in the parish of Sancton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¼ miles SW.
of Sancton, 3 miles S. of Market Weighton. Pop. 89."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The 1842 Tithe maps (2 sheets) and associated apportionment documents
(bound together) are held by the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research at York.
- For a more detailed map of the parishes in the riding
please see the
Yorkshire parish maps page.
- For a more detailed map of the county
please see the
Yorkshire map page.
- Here is a map showing
the wapentakes for the county.
- View maps of Sancton
and places within the boundaries of its ancient parish.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014