"SCULCOATES, a parish in the Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile N. from Kingston npon Hull, containing 10,449 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The parish church,dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1760. An act was obtained, in 1814, for the erection of an additional church, called Christ-church, which was consecrated in 1822; it is a handsome structure of white brick and Roche abbey stone, and cost upwards of £7000, part of which has been defrayed by subscription. By the same act the presentation was vested in subscribers of £100, and their survivors, till the number be reduced to eight, vacancies in which are to be filled up by the pew-holders, and these eight trustees, together with the vicar of Sculcoates, are to possess the patronage. The population of Sculcoates, less than a century ago, did not exceed one hundred, but the southern part of the parish, since the construction of its dock on the western bank of the river Hull, in 1774, has been extensively "built upon, and now forms a large and populous part of the environs of Hull. The petty sessions for the division are held in a hall recently erected. This place is noticed in Domesday-book as one of the lordships granted to Ralph de Mortimer, a follower of the Conqueror."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016