"SCULCOATES, (or Scowcotts), a parish in the Hunsley Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 1 mile N. of Hull, of which it is an extensive suburb. Less than a century ago this parish contained scarcely 100 inhabitants, but since the construction of the docks on the western bank of the river Hull it has been extensively built upon, and in 1861 contained a population of 27,167. At the time of the Domesday Survey Sculcoates formed one of the lordships granted to Ralph de Mortimer by William the Conqueror. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £295, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. See Hull."
"CHARTER HOUSE, an extra-parochial place in the parish of Sculcoates, in the East Riding of the county of York, 1 mile N. of Hull. There are also several other small places of the same name: one near Market Bosworth, in Leicestershire, another near Axbridge, in Somersetshire, and a third near Coventry, in Warwickshire."
"STEPNEY, a hamlet in the parish of Sculcoates, Hunsley-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles from Hull, of which it is a suburb. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway."
"WILMINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Sculcoates, wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 3 miles from Hull. It is a station on the Hull and Hornsea branch of the North-Eastern railway."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013