"SETTRINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Malton, its post town. It is a station on the Malton and Driffield railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Derwent at the foot of the wolds. The parish includes the township of Scagglethorpe. The village is mostly modern, having been rebuilt by the late Lady Sykes, and is a polling-place for the county elections. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. Sir T. Syke's hounds meet at Settrington Beacon. The Duke of Richmond takes the title of baron from this place. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1797. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £1,045. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice with a square embattled tower. It contains an E. window of stained glass. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum. There are a National and a Sunday school for both sexes. The hall, which is the principal residence, is situated in a well-timbered park. Lord Middleton is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"SCAGGLETHORPE, a township in the parish of Settrington, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Malton, and about 1 mile from Settrington railway station on the Malton and Driffield line of railway. The village, which is small, is built on the slope of a hill. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The township is bounded on the N. by the navigable river Derwent. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1769."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013