|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SIGGLESTHORNE, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness, 4 miles SW. of Hornsea. The church is a large Gothic structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Lawrence of which the Rev. Wm H. E. Bentick, A M is rector, and the King the patron. Here is a good national school, built by subscription, in 1813, and endowed with a donation of £400. left by Sir Marmaduke Constable, Bart. late of Burton Constable. There is also a girls' National School, erected in 1818, at the cost of Mrs Bentick, and supported by her benevolence. Pop. 163."
"CATFOSS, in the parish of Sigglesthorne, wapentake and liberty Holderness; 1¾ miles NNW. of Sigglesthorne, 9½ miles NE. of Beverley; is a small hamlet situated on an eminence, and affording an extensive prospect of the neighbouring country: this hamlet was formerly the seat of the Bethels, and previously that of the Constables. Tradition says that one of the kings of Mercia resided here. Pop. 49."
"GREAT HATFIELD, in the parishes of Mappleton and Sigglesthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2¾ miles SE. of Sigglesthorne, 4 miles SW. of Hornsea. Population 127. This village appears to have been a place of some importance, from an ancient stone cross of exquisite workmanship, which stands in the centre of the place. There is here a burial place, but no place of worship, the Chapel which formerly stood in it having been destroyed by fire about a century ago. The site of the sanctuary is marked by a large monumental stone bearing this inscription:-
HERE LIETH THE BODY OF EXPOPHER CONSTABLE, A.D. 642." - -(See Mappleton for directory)
"LITTLE HATFIELD, in the parish of Sigglesthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¾ miles SE. of Sigglesthorne, 4 miles SW. of Hornsea; Population, 25."
"SEATON, in the parish of Sigglesthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 mile NE. of Sigglesthorne, 3 miles WSW. of Hornsea. The only place of public worship is a Methodist chapel built in 1810, by subscription. Pop. 301."
"WASSAND, in the parish of Sigglesthorne, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¼ miles ENE. of Sigglesthorne, 2 miles SW. of Hornsea; a small village pleasantly situated on the declivity of a small eminence, where stands the mansion of a branch of the Constable family; an elegant structure, built of white brick, commanding a full prospect of that extensive lake, called Hornsea Mere."