"SKERNE, a parish in the Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.S.E. from Great Driffield, containing 251 inhabitants. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty. R. Arkwright, Esq. was patron in 1808."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]