"SKERNE, a parish in the Bainton-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Great Driffield, its post town, and 13 from Beverley. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on a branch of the river Hull. The inhabitants are wholly agricultural. The soil consists of gravel, clay, and loam upon a subsoil of clay. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £71. The church has a tower containing two bells. The parochial charities consist in 5 acres of land designated "Poor Folks' Close." The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Lord Londesborough is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013