"SKIPSEA, is a township, in the parish of its name, (which is bounded on the east by the north sea), in the same wapentake and riding as Hornsea, about 5 miles n.n.w. from that town. A lofty mount called Skipsea Brough was formerly the site of a baronial castle, occupied by the lords of Holderness. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to All Saints, and two chapels for dissenters. The parish contained, in 1831, 726 inhabitants, and the township 386 of that number.
Please see Hornsea Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."