"SKIPSEA, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Ulrome, and the townships of Bonwick, Dringhoe with Upton and Brough, and Skipsea, and containing 693 inhabitants, of which number, 329 are in the township of Skipsea, llj miles S.E. from Great Driffield. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £9. 16., endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is principally in the later stylo of English architecture. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. Tho parish is bounded on the east by the North sea. A lofty mount, termed Skipsea Brough, was anciently the site of the baronial castle' of the lords of Holderness."
"BONWICK, a township in the parish of SKIPSEA, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, ll miles E.S.E. from Great Driffield, containing 30 inhabitants."
"DRINGHOE, a township, joint with Upton and Brough, in the parish of SKIPSEA, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles S.E. from Great. Driffield, containing 164 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]