GENUKI Home page    Skipsea Parish<br>main page Skipsea
Parish
main page

SKIPSEA:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"SKIPSEA, a parish, and township in the N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Burton Agnes, 5 N.W. of Hornsea, and 10 S.E. of Burlington. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the high road from Burlington to Hornsea, and within one mile distant of the coast of the North Sea, which bounds the parish on the E. The parish includes the townships of Bonwick and Dringhoe, with the hamlets of Upton and Brough. In the vicinity are traces of Drugo de Bruere's castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value 96, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The chancel was rebuilt in 1824. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Independents have each a place of worship, in which Sunday-schools are held. The Wesleyans have also two day schools. A court-leet is held in October. Sir C. Constable is lord of the manor."


"BONWICK, a township in the parish of Skipsea, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the E. of Great Driffield."


"BROUGH, a township in the parish of Skipsea, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 9 miles to the E. of Great Driffield. It is a joint township with Dringhoe."


"DRINGHOE, (with Upton and Brough), a township in the parish of Skipsea, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 8 miles S.W. of Bridlington, and 11 S.E. of Great Driffield. Lord Westbury is lord of the manor, and Owner of most of the soil. Here is a meet for the Holderness hounds."


"ULROME, a chapelry in the parishes of Skipsea and Barmston, N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Burton Agnes railway station, and 7 S. of Bridlington. Hull is its post town. The village is situated near the coast of the North Sea. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value 74."


"UPTON, a hamlet in the parish of Skipsea, N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 9 miles S.E. of Great Driffield. It is joined with Dringhoe."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014