[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SKIPWITH, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, and liberty of Howdenshire; 5½ miles NNE. of Selby. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Helen, of which the King is the patron. The Rev. Joseph Nelson, vicar of Skipwith, also left £400. in the 3 per cent. consolidated annuities. Pop, 315.
Here is a school founded and endowed by Dorothy Wilson, Spinster of York, by will, dated Jan. 20, 1710, the property now is worth £20. per annum. The Rev. Joseph Wilson, the late vicar, left 400L. to this school, the interest of which to be applied to the education of the poor of the parish. The present salary for the Master is 20L. arising out of lands at Skipwith Holmes, originally for 10, now 14 boys."
"NORTH DUFFIELD, in the parish of Skipwith, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, and liberty of Howdenshire; 1¾ miles ESE. of Skipwith, 6 miles NE. of Selby. Pop. 433."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]