|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SLEDMERE, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 8 miles NW. of Driffield. The parish church here is dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), patron Sir M. M. Sykes, Bart. Population including the hamlet of Croam, 425.
It was originally a Chapel in the parish of Grindalythe, and appropriated with it to the Priory of Kirkham.
Sledmere, situated in a spacious vale, in the centre of the Yorkshire Wolds, may he considered as the ornament of that bleak and hilly district, is noted for being the residence of Sir Mark Masterman Sykes, Bart. whose father, the late Sir Christopher Sykes, Bart. erected, from his own design, the present Mansion, which has been planned and executed in a superior style of elegance; but the greatest boast and pride of its noble owner, is the library, 100 feet in length, and which the Rev. F. Dibdin is pleased to call "one of the finest rooms in the kingdom; perhaps rather too splendidly got up for the purpose to which it is converted. Here repose all the Editiones Princeps of Sir Mark: and among them the first "Livy upon vellum". Here too are seen his "History" and "Topography" and "Voyages" and "Travels", mostly upon large paper, in beautiful condition and appropriate bindings: while, below stairs, in Sir Mark's own particular apartment, and by the side of a bookcase, which contains some of the rarest "Old English Poetry", in our language, are to be found his beautiful "Hollars", and matchless "Faithornes"." --Bibliogr. Decam. III. p. 405.
The ornamented appendages, the pavilions, hot houses, green houses, &c. add to the beauty of the scene: and a lofty arched gateway erected over the present and ancient Roman road, from York to Bridlington, is seen at a great distance from every quarter, and has a fine effect.
Sir Mark succeeded his father, Sir Christopher Sykes, Bart. September, 1801, married, November 11, 1795, Henrietta, daughter of Henry Masterman, of Settrington, in Yorkshire, Esq. --Debrett."
"CROOM, a hamlet in the parish of Sledmere, and wapentake of Buckrose ; ¾ mile N. of Sledmere, 8½ miles NW. of Driffield. Population included with Sledmere."