|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SOUTH CAVE, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles SSE. of Market Weighton; 9 from Beverley; 12 from Hull; and 28 from York; situated in a hollow, from which probably it derives its name, is a small market and post-town, in the division of Hunsley Beacon, and at the western foot of the Wolds, in a very pleasant tract of country, about three miles from the river Humber. The parish is very extensive, and comprehends the townships of South Cave, Broomfleet, Faxfleet, and Osmandyke, and is bounded on the south, for a very considerable way, by the Humber. The church is a plain and neat edifice (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to All Saints, the Rev. E. W. Barnard vicar and patron, built, as appears by an inscription in the inside, in the year 1601. There is a National School, Robert Sharp, master. The market is held every Monday, at which a great quantity of corn is sold, and sent by the Humber and its branches to Leeds, Wakefield and the other populous towns of the West Riding, in vessels, which bring back coals, lime, flags, free stone, and various other articles. Near this town is Cave castle, now the seat and principal residence of Henry Barnard, Esq. The mansion house is a large and noble structure, ornamented with a number of turrets, battlements, buttresses, &c. which give it an air of magnificence. The embellishments of the interior correspond with the grandeur of the exterior. It contains many spacious and elegant apartments, with a very select and valuable collection of pictures by the best masters: among these is a portrait of the late celebrated General George Washington, the founder of the American Republic, whose great-grandfather, John Washington, lived here and possessed part of the estate; but emigrated from hence to America about the year 1657, and settled at Bridges eek, in the county of Westmoreland, in Virginia, where the family has ever since remained. Population, 885."
"BROOMFLEET, in the parish of South Cave, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter; 3½ miles SW. of South Cave. Population, 142."
"FAXFLEET, in the parish of South Cave, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 5¾ miles SW. of South Cave. Pop. 163."
"MOUNT AIREY, in the parish of South Cave, liberty of St. Peter, and wapentake of Harthill; ½ mile E. of South Cave."
"PROVENCE, in the parish of South Cave, liberty of St. Peter, and wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles SW. of South Cave."
"WEEDLEY, in the parish of South Cave, and wapentake of Harthill 2½ miles E. of South Cave."