|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"SOUTH DALTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; (Dalton House, the seat of Lord Hotham) 6 miles NW. of Beverley. The church is a rectory dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), patron Sir C. Hotham, Bart. Population, 277.
Sometime in 1791, a ring belonging to Lady Dorothea Hotham, and by her favour allowed to be exhibited at the Society of Antiquaries, was ploughed up in a field near Dalton House. The stone set in it is a species of the tri-coloured sardonyx, and the impression on it, a very beautiful Janus' head. The characters round the ring are supposed to be old French. --Archaeol. vol 12, p409."
"COTEGARTH WALK FARM, in the parish of South Dalton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¾ miles WSW. of South Dalton, 4 miles NE. of Market Weighton."