|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SPROATLEY, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 5 miles N. of Hedon. There is here a handsome new church (see Churches for photograph), built in 1819, of white brick, and dedicated to All Saints, it is built upon the site of the old edifice, which was dedicated to St. Swithin. The rector is the Rev. Charles Wapshaw, and the patron the Earl of Cardigan. Here is likewise a Charity school for ten poor boys and ten girls, built in the year 1739, and endowed by Mrs, Bridget Briggs, with £100. per annum out of the rents of land near Sheffield. In digging the foundation for the new church, in 1819, some very ancient tomb stones were found, one of which had an inscription on the side of a crozier, in Saxon characters. Population, 357."