|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"THORNTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 4 miles SW. of Pocklington. The Church of Thornton-with-Allerthorpe, peculiar, is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Michael, in the deanry of Harthill, the Rev. James Addison is incumbent and the Dean of York the patron. Pop. 198."
"EASTWOOD, (now Rossmoor Grange and Farm), 2 houses in the parish of Thornton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2 miles W. of Thornton, 6 miles SW. of Pocklington."
"MELBOURNE, in the parish of Thornton, and wapentake of Harthill; (Melbourne House, the seat of Sir Henry Maghull Mervin Vavasour, Bart.) 5 miles SSW. of Pocklington. There is here a chapel for the Wesleyan Methodists, and another for the primitive Methodists. Pop. 437.
This family of Vavasours appears to be a branch of the ancient family of that name, settled at Haslewood, soon after the conquest. The present Sir Henry Maghull Mervin Vavasour succeeded his father, Sir Henry, March 15, 1813 - creation, -March 20, 1801."
"MELBOURNE LODGES, (the seat of General Wharton) in the parish of Thornton, township of Melbourne, 6 miles from Pocklington."
"PARK HOUSE, a farm house in the township of Storthwaite, and parish of Thornton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¾ miles WSW. of Thornton, 7 miles SW. of Pocklington."
"STORWOOD, in the parish of Thornton, and wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles WSW. of Thornton, 6 miles SW. of Pocklington. Pop. 116."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]