[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"THWING, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering 8 miles WNW. of Bridlington. The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches
for photograph), and the living, which is a rectory in medieties, in the gift of the crown, in enjoyed by the Rev. John Kirk. There is also a Methodist chapel. Pop 314.
In Thwing, Archbishop Lamplugh, the 74th Archbishop of York, first drew breath. He was Fellow at Queen's College, Oxford, afterwards Rector of Charlton, Oxfordshire, and Principal of St. Alban's Hall, August 12, 1664. He became at long after one of the King's Chaplains. He was translated to the See of York in 1688, when he was 74 years of age, and died at Bishopthorpe in 1691. --Drake. --Biog. Dict."
"OCTON, in the parish of Thwing, and wapentake of Dickering, (Octon Cottage, (or Octon Lodge) the seat of Robert Prickett, Esq.) 8 miles W. of Bridlington."
"OCTON GRANGE, in the parish of Thwing, and wapentake of Dickering; 2 miles WNW. of Thwing, 9 miles WNW. of Bridlington."
"WOLD COTTAGE, in the parish of Thwing, and wapentake of Dickering; 1½ miles NNW. of Thwing, 8 miles WNW. of Bridlington.
On Sunday about three o'clock, the 13th of December, 1795, a stone weighing 56 pounds, fell within two fields of the house, -three people were within 150 yards from the place where it fell. So great was the force in its fall that it excavated a place 19 inches deep, and something more than a yard in diameter. It is now lodged in Mr. Sowerby's Museum, Lambeth Road, London. To perpetuate the spot where the stone fell, the late Major Topham erected a pillar, with a plantation around it. The pillar is built over the exact place which the stone excavated, and has this inscription on a tablet:-
Here on this spot, December 13th, 1795, fell from the atmosphere, An extraordinary stone! In breadth 28 Inches, In length 30 inches, and the weight of which was fifty-six pounds! This Column In memory of it, was erected by Edward Topham, 1799. Brit. Minerology, vol. II.p.7.
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]