Wapentake of Holderness - County Council Electoral Division of Burton Agnes - Petty Sessional Division of Dickering - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Bridlington - Rural Deanery of Hornsea - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
Ulrome or Ulram is a parish and township situated on the coast of the German Ocean, and bounded on the land side by Barmston, Lissett, Dringhoe, and Skipsea. Like other places on the Yorkshire coast, it is gradually decreasing in extent from the ravages of the sea, the rate of diminution being, according to Mr. Poulson, one-and-a-half yards yearly. There are 1,594 acres of land in the parish, and 198 inhabitants. The rateable value is £1,997. The soil is a mixture of clay and gravel; the subsoil clay, and the chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and turnips. John Rickaby, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner; the other proprietors are H. B. Firman, Esq., Selby; R. N. Beauvais, Bridlington Quay; G. T. Saville, Esq., East Retford; G. B. Tonge, Esq., Driffield; the Rector of Barmston; the Archbishop of York; and Messrs. T. Bell and J. W. Sharp, Ulrome.
The original name of the place was Ulfreham, that is the ham or abode of Ulf, who was probably its earliest Saxon owner. At the time of the Norman invasion, Torchil and Thurstan were the proprietors of Ulfreham, but the Conqueror dispossessed the English owners and gave the manor, with the rest of Holderness, to Drogo. The family of De Ulram possessed lands here at an early period, and in Kirby's Inquest (AD. 1282) Adam de Ulram is mentioned as lord of the manor. In 1358, Ulram formed part of the vast possessions of William, Lord Greystock. Subsequently the manor passed through several hands to the Robinsons, of Newton Garth, near Hedon, and in 1657, Leonard Robinson conveyed the manor and advowson of the church to George Hartas, of Ulram. This family were members of the Society of Friends, and had a piece of ground in their orchard enclosed for the burial of persons belonging to that persuasion. From this family the manor was purchased by Thomas Shipton, whose trustee conveyed it in 1717, to Richard Hardcastle, who, the same year, conveyed the property to Giles Rickaby, of Bridlington Quay, merchant. The advowson, which was included in the conveyance, was sold by the next Rickaby owner, in 1744, to Sir Griffith Boynton, Bart., for the sum of £75.
The village of Ulrome or Ulram is pleasantly situated, nine miles south from Bridlington by road, and six-and-a-half from Hornsea. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient structure, built of cobbles, with cut stone dressings, in the Early English style, on the site of an earlier edifice, supposed to have been erected before the Conquest. It consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western tower containing one bell. The nave and chancel were rebuilt in 1876-7, at a cost of £900, raised by subscription. All the old material was incorporated in the new work, and the inside walls faced with brick. One of the original Perpendicular windows remains in the chancel; all the others are modern. There is a small stained glass memorial window, representing the patron saint, in the south wall of the chancel. The roofs are open and boarded. The tower rises very little above the ridge of the nave, and presents a stunted appearance. The font is circular, and is believed to be coeval with the church. The nave is fitted with open benches of pitchpine, to seat 105 persons. A chantry was founded in this church at an early period, but by whom is not known. Ulrome was formerly a chapelry, with all parochial privileges, except burial. The registers date from 1710. The living is a vicarage, gross value £142 per annum, including 22 acres of glebe, in the gift of, and held by the Rev. Edward Arthur Tickell, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford.
There is a small chapel in the village belonging to the Wesleyans, erected in 1848. The coastguard have a station here near the sea, for four officers. It is provided with the Board of Trade life-saving apparatus, and is worked by a volunteer company from the neighbouring villages.
CHARITIES - At the inclosure in 1765, five acres of land were allotted, the rents of which, after paying 20s. to the repair of the church, are distributed among the poor. The Rev. John Holmes, in 1772, left £300 to the poor.
The early Britons have left their traces in the district. Their tumuli or burial mounds are scattered in hundreds over the neighbouring Wolds, and the long lines of earthworks they raised to defend their homes, may still be traced in many places, sometimes extending over three or four miles. The first of the lake dwellings of thses early inhabitants found in this part of the country,now discovered here by Mr. Boynton, in 1880. The Skipsea drain, which runs through Mr. Boynton's farm, was being cleaned and deepened, and during the progress of the work numerous oak piles and implements of flint and bone were thrown out. The latter were undoubted relics of the Ancient Britons, and Mr. Boynton determined to make a thorough exploration of the land on both banks of the drain. His excavations brought to light the site of a lake dwelling similar to those previously discovered in Switzerland and in Scotland. It had been constructed on an artificial island, formed in the marsh or shallow lake that then covered the greater part of Holderness. About a yard beneath the surface he came upon what had been the surface of the island or dwelling, which had been formed by depositing trunks of trees and bushwood horizontally, with upright stakes here and there to hold them together, and then covering them with sand to form a level surface. The platform measured about 30 yards in length by 20 in breadth, and had been cut through by the drain. Several tools and implements of stone, bone, and stag's horn, were found; also the remains of animals that had served for food; and fragments of British pottery. Other lake dwellings have been detected in the neighbourhood by Mr. Boynton.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.