|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"WARTER, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 4 miles ENE. of Pocklington. The church, dedicated to St. James (see Churches for photograph), is a vicarage, of which Lord Muncaster is the patron, and the Rev. Wm. Courtley, the incumbent. There is also a small Methodist chapel. Population, 428.
Geoffrey Fitz-Pain, alias Trustbut, founded here an Augustine Priory, in 1132, and dedicated it to St. James. About the time of the dissolution it was the residence of a Prior and ten Canons; and its revenues amounted to 143L. 7s. 8d. according to Dugdale, and 221L. 3s. 10d. -Speed. The site was granted 28th and 32nd Henry VIII. to Thomas, Earl of Rutland. -Burton."
"WARTER HALL, known as Warter Priory by 1840, (the seat of Lord Muncaster) in the township and parish of Warter; 4 miles from Pocklington.
Lowther Augustus John Pennington, Lord Muncaster, born December 13th, 1802, succeeded his father, Lowther, the late Lord, July 29th, 1818. Creation, September 21st, 1783.
Gamel da Pennington, ancestor of this noble family, was seated at Muncaster in Cumberland, at the conquest."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]