|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"WAWNE, also spelt WAGHEN, or WAWN, a parish in the wapentake of Holderness, and liberty of St. Peter's; 6 miles N. of Hull. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small ancient edifice (see Churches for photograph), the seats of which have never been renewed, and are much corroded by time. The vicar is the Rev. Jeremiah Burn and the patron the Chancellor of the Church of York. Pop. 251."
"MEAUX, in the parish of Wawne, or Waghen, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1¾ miles NNE. of Wawne, 7 miles N. of Hull. This lordship was given by William the Conqueror, to one of his officers named Gamel, born at Meaux, in Normandy, who made it his seat and peopled it with his townsmen, from whom it obtained the name of Meaux. A monastery of the Cistercian order was founded here in the year 1136, by William Le Gros, Earl of Albemarle. From the small remains of a curious Mosaic pavement of brick, the foundations of buildings are yet to be traced, and the extensive moats, or ditches, by which it was surrounded, and which are yet discoverable, it is evident that this famous monastery once displayed considerable magnificence. Population, 74."