|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"WELTON, a parish in the wapentake of Howdenshire; 4 miles SE. of South Cave, and 10 miles S. of Beverley. There is here an ancient church, with a tower in the centre (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. Helen, of which the King is the patron, & the Rev. H. W. Champney the vicar. There is also a Methodist chapel. The church contains an effigy of a Knight Templar, which carries its antiquity beyond 1327, when that order was dissolved, and it is supposed to have been built by William Rufus, who succeeded William the Conqueror in 1088. Pop. 576."
"MELTON, in the parish of Welton, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; ¾ mile ESE. of Welton, 4 miles SSE. of South Cave. A pleasant and handsome village and although situated without the limits of the county of Kingston upon Hull, is the favourite residence of some of the gentlemen of that opulent town. Population including Melton-hill, 107.
Of this Place was William de Melton, the forty-second Archbishop of York. He was elected Archbishop in 1315, and died at Cawood, in 1340. --Drake."
"MELTON HILL, in the township of Melton, and parish of Welton; (the seat of John Wilson, Esq,); 1 mile ESE. of Welton, 5½ miles from South-Cave, 9½, from Hull and Beverley."