Area, 2,700 acres. Buckrose wapentake. - Population, 606 *1; Church-room, 270; Net value, £173. -This Church was given by Walter Espec to the Priory of Kirkham, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1394, and on the 36th Henry VIII., the Rectory with the Advowson was given in exchange to the Archbishop of York, who is the present patron and impropriator.
Valued in the King's books at £4. 18s. 2d.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 116, at £16 per annum.
The first Vicar mentioned in Torre's catalogue was instituted in 1333.
" The tithes of corn, grain, hay, wool, and lamb, are impropriate to the Archbishop. The small tithes belong to the Vicar. There is an augmentation of £20 per annum, given by Archbishop Sterne." Signed, " William Dealtry, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1040.
6th February 1801, faculty to erect a gallery and make certain alterations in the Church.
The glebe house is unfit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1560. A chasm for the years 1598, 1599, 1600, and 1601.
Frances Idle's gift, by deed, dated 14th November 1766. Dividends on £225 three per cents. reduced. 24s. to be expended in bread to the poor on Christmas-day, Easter Sunday, and Whit Sunday ; viz., 8s. on each day, and the remainder is distributed in money at Christmas.
Tomlinson Thompson's gift (date unknown). rent charge of 5s. per annum to the poor.
Thomas White's gift (date unknown). rent charge of 6s. per annum for bread for the poor at Christmas, Easter, Whitsuntide, and Michaelmas.
Elizabeth Sugar's gift, by will, dated 17th March 1783. Interest of £50 for teaching poor children. Three children are instructed in reading and writing, without charge.
Henry Boulton's gift. Interest of £20, given in bread on Trinity Sunday among poor widows. -Vide 9th Report, p. 719.
Post town: Whitwell.
Torre's MS., page 761. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 116. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Edwardestorp) page 234, (Fredebi) 234, (Men-nistorp) pages 32. 83. 123.
*1 Viz. Eddlethorpe, 53; Firby, 38; Menethorpe, 126 ; and Westow, 389. -In 1834, the Population was returned at 591.