"WETWANG, a parish, partly in the liberty of St. Peter's, and partly in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Great Driffield, and a quarter of a mile from the Wetwang station on the Malton and Driffield railway. The village, which is situated amongst the Wolds, consists principally of one street. The parish includes the townships of Fimber and Firby. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £230, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The altar and pulpit are of carved Caen stone, and the windows have tracery and stone mullions. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Fimber. The Wesleyans have a chapel at Fimber. There are National and other schools, chiefly supported by Sir Tatton and Lady Sykes."
"FIMBER, a chapelry in the parish of Wetwang, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of Great Driffield, its post town, and 11 S.E. of Malton. The Sledmere and Fimber railway station on the Thirsk and Driffield branch of the North-Eastern line is 1 mile from the village. Here is a chapel-of-ease, a small stone structure, very old, the living of which is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Wetwang, in the diocese of York. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013