|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"WHELDRAKE, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; 8 miles SE. of York. The church which was rebuilt in the year 1789 (see Churches for photograph), is dedicated to St. Helen, the Hon. Robert Elliott is the rector, and the Archbishop of York the patron. There is here a well endowed school for the education of 19 boys and girls, of which Mr William Dawson is the master, and a manor court for the recovery of small debts of which George Fearn is the bailiff; there are also two Methodist chapels, one of the Old and the other of the New Connexion. Pop. 638."
"LANGWITH, in the parish of Wheldrake, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; 2¼ miles NW. of Wheldrake, 3 miles SE. of York. Contains 5 farm houses and 39 inhabitants."