Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for WITHERNWICK in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
- Post Office at J. Myers'. Letters arrive via Hull, week days only,
at 7-20 a.m., and are despatched at 6-5 p.m. in winter, and 7-0 p.m. in summer.
Postal orders issued but not paid. The nearest Telegraph Office is at Burton
Constable Station, and Money Order at Aldbrough. Letter Box, Whitedale Station,
cleared at 6-50 p.m. in winter, 7-30 p.m., summer.
- Ancient Order of Foresters (Court "Alder," No. 781), Thomas Kearry, sec.; Henry Robinson,
sub-sec.; held monthly at Hall (established l839 - 160 members).
- Church Institute - Walter R. Welch, secretary.
- Cricket Club - J. Midgley, secretary.
- Penny Savings Bank - J. Midgley and N. S. Dibb, sees. (open Saturdays 7 to
8 p.m.) Withernwick Polling District Conservative Association - G. Tanton,
chairman; R. Taylor, vice-chairman; J. Midgley, sec.; W. E. Coates, treasurer.
- Withernwick Horse and Foal Show - F. Dunn, secretary.
Miscellany of trades
- Adcock William Edward, railway porter
- Barr Arthur, hind
- Booth George, hind, Westlands
- Brown George, hind, Rudon farm
- Chenery George, grocer, &c., and steam thrashing machine proprietor
- Cooper Mr. John, Lorne terrace
- Coulthread Mark, blacksmith
- Darley Isaac, grocer, &c.
- Dibb Mr. Newman S.
- Dibnah Arthur James, blacksmith
- Dunn Mr. George, Lorne terrace
- Dunn Mrs. Isabella
- Dunn William, bricklayer
- Ellis Wilstrop, grocer, &c.
- Fisher George, carrier to Hull (Tues. & Fri.)
- Fisher John
- Fisher Richard, cowkeeper
- Fox Mr. William
- Garton Ralph, cowkeeper
- Graham John, cowkeeper
- Harrison Joseph, joiner and wheelwright
- Harsley James W., shoemaker
- Holder Mrs. Annie, lodgings
- Jackson John Grice, stationmaster, goods and coal agent, Whitedale station
- Johnson William, cowkeeper
- Kaye William, tailor
- Kearry John, cowkeeper
- Midgley Mrs. Elizabeth, schoolmistress
- Midgley John, schoolmaster
- Moore George, tailor and draper
- Myers John, saddler and harness maker, and parish clerk, Post office
- Nightingale Alfred, sexton
- Pattinson John, tailor
- Richardson Mr. Albert
- Sampson John, cowkeeper
- Sharp George, hind, Omer house
- Shaw Edward
- Smith George, tailor
- Tanton Francis, joiner
- Tanton Mrs.
- Taylor Mr. William, Elm cottage
- Thompson George, hind, North end
- Thompson Richard, cowkeeper
- Welch Rev. Walter Radford, The Vicarage
- Wray Edward, carrier to Hull (Tues. & Fri.)
- Dibnah Mrs. Eliza
- Eland Miss Mary Ann
- Fox Miss Mary Elizabeth
- Garton Miss Ruth
- Kearry Miss Harriet
- Atkinson John, Little Westhill
- Dawson Thomas (and butcher), Vicarage farm
- Dunn Francis, and vict., Falcon Inn, and Willow farm
- Giles William, Whitehill
- Halden John Wm. (yeo.), Westland; h Hull
- Hammond James, Rudon farm; h Dunswell
- Hunter Christopher, North end; h Hull
- Oman John (and miller, wind)
- Simpson William Marmaduke Whitedale farm
- Taylor John (managing), South end
- Taylor Robert, Manor house
- Taylor William (managing), Prospect house
- Welford Joseph, Withernwick grange
- Wright Wm. (the exors. of the late), North end, Lee farm, and Omer house; h Humbleton
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016